Jan 11, 2012

Feb. 2012 Issue of Arena37: CNBLUE Intervew-part 1

*This is quite a long article, so I'll be translating it in parts.

-"Where you are", your second single to be released on Feb 1, composed and written by YH, has a very heavy-scale rock sound.

YH This song was written a short while after writing our debut single, IMH. When I was making this song, I had a definite assurance in my mind that it will be quite a great song.

-You also said you sensed a good vibe when you wrote the debut single, IMH.

YH I got an even better vibe with WYA.

-Last time, the first judges, or obstacles, were the members. How did the three respond?

MH As soon as I heard it, I said OK.
JS The strong melody in the chorus and the groovy sound are quite impressive, I thought it was really the best.

-IMH is also a song full of powerful and groovy feel to it, but WYA seems to have more of such characterstics.

YH I always want to try new challenges. Since this is my second challenge, and because IMH was received well by many Japanese audience, I wrote this song consciously thinking that I needed to present music that is more evolved in diverse ways.

MH The rhythm tempo was faster than IMH, so I was able to feel how much more "rock" this song is compared to IMH.

JS As much as so, it was harder to play the instrument on the beat.

MH I did okay...when I recorded, it was quite smoothly done without much effort.

-Perhaps, for those of audience who first experienced CNBLUE's music with the debut single, may have been shocked by your heavier and more powerful rock sound than any other band.

JH Surely, if one only sees our looks, it might be difficult to imagine what kind of music we play (laughs).

YH Through our last single, we were able to present "this is our music. This is CNBLUE", so we thought in a good way, the listeners would more or less have certain expectations. So this time, we wanted to show more progress stating, "right now, us, the band called CNBLUE, tried a stronger style of rock and this is how the music turned out."

read more: part 2

2 comments:

  1. My friend who follows J pop tells me ARENA37℃ is one of those highly-regarded music magazines in Japan. The articles have more depth compared to Pati Pati. Now I understand what she meant. This isn't the first Arena article but being on the cover makes it a big deal I think.

    They must be having an excited and happy experience talking about their own music seriously.

    Thank you so much for translating the article. I saw the scans and knew it's freaking long. Take your time. Hope you don't mind some virtual *kisses*. :=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. klaritia/ I love this magazine too. I didn't have much information about it though, thanks! I'm really glad the boys made the cover of such a prestigious music magazine. I very much appreciate how well the journalist knows about their music and asks really the crucial questions about the things we want to know. I can see how excited they are talking about music! It's quite a pity that Korea doesn't have much arena for serious music critique nowadays. Although few webzines exist, they don't really regard CNBLUE as serious (yet). Hopefully the new upcoming album will be different and changes things (it better or I'm going to Korea to terrorize fnc.)

    The article's definitely a long one. Still, it's so worth reading, so I'm happy I translated it and you enjoyed it. I'm only halfway through at this point...hopefully I'll have more time tomorrow to finish it.

    Oh, and virtual kisses, always welcome. ^//^

    ReplyDelete