Jan 8, 2012

Where You Are English lyrics

*Any changes/contentious parts indicated in red. Feel free to contribute/point out errors, etc!



Where You Are
Release Date: 2012/2/1
Performed by CNBLUE

Lyrics by JUNG YONG HWA、Kenji Tamai
Music by JUNG YONG HWA

Japanese lyrics transcribed by @mi_malice
English transcription and translation by @heich_

I'm breaking down I am screaming out
My time is running out, what do I do now
Oh, give up? Or stand up? I don't know
I wanna break the spell now

I'm drowning now
叫びはもう 輝くこと忘れた月のようさ (sakebiwa mou kagayakukoto wasureta tsukino yousa)
(I) scream now, like the moon that has forgotten how to shine
Somewhere lady, look and smile at me. Yeah-

I'm searching where you are
Oh, shining down on me from where you are
I'll always be right there, baby, always'll be right there, baby
Oh, please touch my body and my face

I'm searching where you are
Can you see what I need is where you are
I'll always be right there, baby, always'll be right there, baby
You know when I can be where you are
Only then I willl shine bright

I'm tumbling down, I'm falling apart
My time is running out What do I do now
Oh, give up? Or stand up? I don't know.
I wanna break the spell now
落ちていく(ochiteiku)
I'm falling away
I'm losing myself
震える手を日の当たる場所へ (furueru tewo hino ataru bashoeto)
My trembling hands toward where they can reach the sun
Somewhere lady, look and smile at me. Yeah-

I'm searching where you are
Oh, shining down on me from where you are
I'll always be right there, baby, always'll be right there, baby
Oh, please touch my body and my face

I'm searching where you are
Can you see what I need is where you are
I'll always be right there, baby, always'll be right there, baby
You know when I can be where you are
Only then I willl shine bright

歪んだ世界の霞んだ空だとしても (Yukanda sekaino kasunda soradato shitemo)
Even in the murky sky of this twisted world
鳥のように (torino youni)
Like a bird,
I'm searching where you are right now, and I will fly high-

I'm searching where you are
Oh, shining down on me from where you are
I'll always be right there, baby, always'll be right there, baby
Oh, please touch my body and my face

I'm searching where you are
Can you see what I need is where you are
I'll always be right there, baby, always'll be right there, baby
You know when I can be where you are
Only then I willl shine
Only then I willl shine
Only then I willl shine
bright

Only then I willl shine bright
Only then I willl shine bright

Japanese lyrics transcribed by @mi_malice
English by @heich_

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! I saw your Korean version post and wanted to ask for Eng trans of the few Japanese lines. Then I was busy with other things and then you've made an Eng ver. post, with romanization of the Japanese too! Really appreciate your effort.

    I actually had a hard time figuring out JH's line "Somewhere lady, look and smile at me..." I don't hear "and" but something else that doesn't make sense.

    If we can assume the English lyrics are Yonghwa's, I'm very impressed with "I wanna break the spell now". When I heard the 30 sec preview, I was excited about "Oh, please touch my body and my face" and was wondering if there are even more explicit lyrics. So kind of disappointed. XD

    I'm so happy that this is an English song with a little Japanese rather than a Japanese song with a little English. :)

    Though this is a post about the lyrics, I still want to say I love the music lots too. Yonghwa keeps surprising us with his creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering my request :) I made the changes. Someone else on my Kor. version also commented that it doesn't quite sound like "and" and I agree. I couldn't find what the right word would be tho. She mentioned "with" but that's grammatically incorrect. But then again, it's Yonglish...we'll see when the captioned ver. comes out tonight.

    After doing the Kor trans, I thought, might as well do the short JP translation for Eng fans. I also like that it's more English than Japanese. It's precisely because I think we can almost be sure they're Yonghwa's.

    Although he's not the most most sophisticated poet out there, I really enjoy his sometimes straightforward, sometimes veiled way of writing lyrics. Either way, they seem so raw. Not trained or taught by someone, but coming directly from his mind and heart. I think that's how he can write verses like "I wanna break the spell now." I liked the "touch my body and my face" too, wished there was more. I'm sure we'll get more on the way?^^;

    The music, I wasn't so wild about in the beginning, but the more I listen to it, the more I'm getting addicted. The hook is stuck in my head~. Oh and don't hesitate to write about just anything here. I just thought I needed to digest this song fully before writing about it. But you don't need to wait for me at all. I always appreciate any kind of comment!^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this :D
    I got easily attracted to this song coz of the lyrics. I must say Yonghwa's english improved.
    I'm glad that there's Japanese too! and its Jonghyun's parts :D
    Anyways, the boys PV is cool. The director used mirrors. They are looking for their purpose/inspiration and only then they'll shine bright. Just my opinion hihi**

    ReplyDelete
  4. lebluecraze/ Welcome! and thank you for the comment:)
    His English lyrics are so much better now. Not only grammatically but also artistically.

    Interesting take on the mirrors. I was wondering what they meant, too. Perhaps it represents where they are now, and also where they will aspire to be in the infinite series of reflections shown?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I like the phrase "only then I will shine bright"

    Mirrors show their reflection while singing Where You Are. Its like them asking "where could we be in the following years" They need inspiration and support so "only then they will shine bright"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna/ Thanks for visiting and commenting :)

    I like that part, too. It really epitomizes YH's dream and passion I think. I agree about the mirrors like I said ^^

    I also thought about the "where" in "where you are." It all depends what "you" denotes, but the first impression I got was that it was those musicians who have already reached critically high positions in their art of music and have become a source of their inspiration (e.g., Bon Jovi?). so when they reach a similar level to where they are, only then they will shine brightly. Unlike CNBLUE who they themselves see as yet to fully shine by themselves like the moon(a point I don't necessarily agree with), those musicians are shining brightly without anyone else's help--like the sun-- and have carved out a place in music history. I see CNBLUE as aspiring to become like them, and struggling to figure out how to progress up to that level.

    Another friend of mine has suggested that "you" refers to fans, the audience of their music, who are also their muse. She'll have to elaborate more for me, but the gist I got was that only with the fans' love (like the sun shining on them), CNBLUE will shine brightly. Which is quite true, because they definitely need their fans to support them and enjoy their music. Through that interaction with the fans, they'll also have more inspiration to write music and perform.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive been following u on twitter. Thank you for all the tranlsations :) lebluecraze is me as well just used another account hihihi

    Certainly agree that you refer to fans! Makes me even more fall for their music. The boys keep on surprising us with new music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenna/ hi! icic, will recognize both of your ids from now on :)

    he did say that "you" is open for each person's interpretation. I'd say fans are definitely one thing, and anything else that gives him hope and motivation to go on? ^^

    ReplyDelete